Thursday, April 04, 2013

Late Nights

Last Thursday I went to my aunt's house to watch how couscous is made from scratch. It is quite easy, really, but takes some time and probably some making to know it is right. My aunt cooks without recipes and with very basic tools. She thought it was rather amusing that I wanted to know, and I was writing it all down and taking pictures to boot!

Then my uncle and I went to dinner at 9 pm at a Lebanese place. It was delicious, but not what we planned--we were supposed to go to a Moroccan place which is no longer there. Malish (that's what Egyptians say when there is nothing to be done). It was on a boat on the Nile and outside--just the right temperature and amount of breeziness...

After, my cousin Mahmoud (nickname: Hanif) called to say we should come to visit, as he and his wife Gihan had just arrived. We were just enjoying the restaurant and chatting. So, off we went to visit, arriving there at midnight (pretty much on the dot!). My cousin Ahmed, who lives in Texas, opened the door! So we had a lovely visit and got home about 1:45 AM. Completely normal!

Friday we ate dinner all together at my aunt's house, after watching the couscous finish. It was delicious! We ate dinner there Saturday. Friday was couscous with meat or sugar, soup, salad. Saturday we ate rabbit and rice and vegetable soup. The rabbit was roasted.

No comments: