Monday, March 25, 2013

Sunday photo series


This is a series of items from my Sunday outing walking up the Kornishe el-Nil.

I loved this abandoned boat. Across the river is Manyal Island, where my aunt Zizi lives in my grandmother's apartment. My father and uncles also lived in Manyal when they were going to university.


I missed taking pictures of the couples who were whispering and kissing when they thought no one was looking all along the walkway, which boasts a wide sidewalk of consistent height (no steps up and down every few feet) and benches periodically). I find it fascinating that these women all cover their hair, although they do not wear the jellbab (long cover-up dress) but form fitting western clothes. My uncle says when he was in college, he would bring their girlfriends to this area to walk along the river, drink beer, eat treats and generally be romantic. And no one was covered, like the women who whisper to their sweethearts now.

Sitting in the Trianon, a cafe on a boat on the Nile, I saw the following go by:

He was disentangling trash from the net.

Several feluccas went by.

A pair of ducks.

A sad sign of how polluted the Nile is.

More fishermen. I missed the two fancy yachts that went by, guess they weren't as interesting to me.

An ibis, the iconic bird of Egypt that was a major symbol during Pharaonic times.


One of the many broken down cars occupying precious parking space, right along side the Nile walkway, for some odd reason in this parking-desperate city.


Fabulous (-ly ugly!) platform heels in the Trianon. There were actually two sets, but you couldn't see the other for the floor sweeping (cantelope colored jersey) skirt. I later saw these heels go by on a private yacht which took off close by. 

No comments: