Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Ibn Tulun Mosque

This was my second stop today. The Mosque of Ibn Tulun was completed in 879 AD. All I can say is...wow. I've been in older mosques--the Umayyad Mosque in Damascus comes to mind, and it was an amazing space as well--but this one is just lovely. I love the open feel to it. It was completely restored in the early 2000 so much of the decorative work is visible.

The mosque is around a large central courtyard, and the walls around it are all arched like this. Each arch is decorated differently. Inside the arches, there are 2 or three more layers of arched walls.

The small building in the center is where you used to wash yourself before prayer. It is sadly the only part not fully restored, so there is no water in it.

These windows are to the outside, and let in light and birds (no glass). Again, each one is different.

The square minaret in the background was also restored. The dome and the minaret to the right are a different mosque.


A sense of the size of the place. I bet it is fabulous on Fridays when people come to pray. Following are some closeups of the arch decorations. I took pictures until my battery gave out.





No comments: