Saturday, March 23, 2013

Lunch Friday

I know I am a few days behind but life is absorbing! Here's some pictures to hold you over from lunch. They served old fashioned Egyptian food.


This door is like one they use on houses and buildings in the villages--it's old, came from somewhere else.

I loved the wall decoration, which was made up of antique tin roof type panels and new things covered with bright papers.


These are harunkush, which I thought might be tomatillos given how they were described to me. They do have a papery outer covering. They are very tart, and look like a tomato both inside and out. Maybe an unripe one! I looked it up later and it turns out they are something else. In South Africa, they are called Cape Gooseberries.


We ate kusherie which is rice, lentils and pasta mixed and eaten with fried onion and shutta, a spicy hot sauce. This was my second time only eating it--my father had always refused to eat it because it was peasant food. It was very delicious.


My uncle and cousin. We sat outside. This restaurant is on a very busy street called the 26th of July (has some historical meaning significance I can't remember). This street is not alone in a funny name--there's a very heavily used bridge called the 6 of October bridge. The significance of this one is that it is the day that Egypt successfully invaded Israel under Sadat. My uncle was actually part of that war.

The tree outside the restaurant wore a sweater. Cairenes think the weather is cold, but I am not sure but that the trees are just grateful for the respite from the heat and lack of water!

No comments: