Sunday, March 17, 2013

Friday 15

Lazy day. In Egypt, the weekend is Friday and Saturday. Still very hot (like 100). I made breakfast for my uncle and I--pasterma and eggs! Pasterma is an Egyptian dried and cured beef. It is delicious in eggs. I have never eaten it any other way but it would probably be good in other dishes as well.

We went to city stars, which is monster shopping center in one of Cairo's newer areas. Lots of British stores. Everything was outrageously expensive and quite dull. The place was jammed but it looked like very few people were buying. I am guessing they were there for the air conditioning!

We then went to a famous fish restaurant called el Borg. Apparently it started in Port Said. It was a 4 story building and I think the entire thing was one restaurant although there were these confusing signs to various restaurants. Anyway, you go in and there is a fish market counter where you select the seafood you want and tell them how to prepare it. It was highly chaotic and extremely noisy without atmosphere, but my uncle had warned me that it had no atmosphere. It was also quite busy with large family groups enjoying lunch together. I let my uncle choose since all I recognized was prawns and squid. He selected 2 kinds of fish and then we found a table. From there we were offered soup, salad and drinks. Soup was yummy--a thin broth with huge chunks of fish and shrimp in it. Salads were the Arabic version--dips--hummus, baba ganoujh and something I had not had before with a sour cheese flavor and a mayo like thing with garlic. And bread. The fish was delicious! The first out was what my uncle called barbonne, deep fried whole. The bones were soft enough to eat except the spine. Then there was a larger grilled fish, also excellent. Maess was what it was called... We could not finish it all. Best seafood I have had in quite some time. I took some pictures but I think you will have to go to fb to see them.

We went to visit my aunt Zizi. Her husband has a recurring fever that is not going away. Otherwise she is doing well. They fixed up the apartment. I was happy that I could mostly follow what was being said even if I could not participate much. Her son Ahmed is coming to Egypt to see his womenfolk (wife and daughter) at the end of the month. He lives in Texas but apparently it is easier to see him in Egypt.

My uncle is going to Qatar tomorrow so I am at my cousin Laila's house. Actually, if you want to be technical, she is my first cousin once removed. I really enjoy her company and we have a lot in common. I had never been to her house before although she had invited me to stay previously. She has her fathers apartment which has been renovated with a cleaner European feel. Hers is the only apartment I have been in here with art and antiques and a significant number of books. She collects antique metal cooking equipment, and has this konifa maker...covet!!! She collects current Egyptian art...and has some really nice pieces. She has African art and travel souvenirs. Plus lots and lots of books in English, Arabic and German! The apartment feels open and airy and she used lots of strong colors. I will put some pictures of it up as well.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I remember going to a fish restaurant like that in Alexandria. It was amazing and I was glad to have Mohamed in charge to order for us. So much delicious fish, we couldn't finish it either. So fun to see pictures!